- Prepare a pot of boiling water and blanch the pork belly and pork ribs for 5 minutes. Remove pork and discard the water.
- Fill pot with 2.5lt water, allow it to boil over high heat. Add whole garlic and 2 inner sachets of store bought Bak Kut Teh prepacked herbs. Bring to boil on high heat for 10 minutes.
- Once boiled, add in pre blanched pork belly and pork ribs, soy sauce, Malaysian thick caramel soy sauce and let it boil on high heat for a further 10 minutes. Turn the heat down to low and allow to simmer for at least 1 hour. Taste test and add salt to your liking.
- Add in any of the following optional ingredients – enoki mushrooms, fried beancurd sheets, beancurd puffs and shiitake mushrooms into the pot. Let it boil for another 5-10 mins.
- Scoop Bak Kut Teh soup into a serving bowl, along with a few pieces of each ingredient. Top with some cos lettuce pieces and coriander and it is ready to be served with a bowl of steamed rice.
- Bak Kut Teh is typically served with a side of Chinese doughnuts that are cut up. The Chinese doughnuts are then dipped into the piping hot soup for a couple of seconds and then consumed immediately. Chopped fresh garlic and sliced red chillies are also served in a small saucer with some thick caramel soy sauce and soy sauce.