To Prepare the Red Bean Paste
- Strain the soaked azuki beans and rinse under water.
- Add them into a pot with 6 cups water and bring to the boil over high heat, then cook for 10 mins. Reduce to medium-low and simmer for 50 mins.
- Taste to check if the beans are fully cooked through. Remove any excess water, then use a wooden spoon or potato masher to mash the beans to the desired texture.
- Add salt, brown sugar and ground cinnamon, and mix through thoroughly, adjusting to taste.
- Cover and set aside.
To Prepare the Black Sesame Powder
- Toast the black sesame seeds in a dry pan over medium heat, stirring with a wooden spoon.
- Once the seeds begin to pop and smell fragrant, lower the heat and continue to cook for 5-10 mins or until crispy. Remove from the pan and allow to cool.
- Once cooled, grind using a coffee grinder or in a mortar and pestle.
- Add the ground sesame seeds into a bowl, and combine with the sugar and salt. Set aside.
To Prepare Roasted Soybean Powder
- Combine the roasted soybean power, sugar and salt together in a bowl. Set aside.
To Prepare Mugwort Powder
- Combine the mugwort power, sugar and salt together in a bowl. Set aside.
To Make the Dough
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sweet rice flour, caster sugar and salt.
- Slowly pour in the boiling water while incorporating with a wooden spoon.
- Once water has all been added, mix the dough by hand. Add some more plain flour if the dough feels too wet.
- Cover the dough with a damp tea towel and set aside.
To Make the Gyeongdan
- Bring a pot of water to the boil. Fill a large bowl with cold water.
- Sprinkle some plain flour on a cleaning working surface.
- Divide the dough into 3, then roll into cylinders. Cut each cylinder into 20 pieces. Cover with a damp tea towel with you work.
- Roll each piece of dough into a ball, then use your thumbs to make a hole in the middle of the ball. Place a ball of bean paste in the middle. Close it tightly and place it on a plate, covering with a damp tea towel.
- Carefully lower the rice balls into the boiling water. Cook until they float, about 3-5 mins.
- Use a slotted spoon or a spider to remove them from the boiling water and place into the cold water.
- Drain, then roll the cooked rice balls in the black sesame, mugwort and roasted soy bean powder.