To Make Stock
- In a large saucepan, add skirt steak and water. Bring it to a boil. Skim off any impurities that float to the top. Add onions, cloves of garlic and black pepper. Simmer stock for about 1½ hrs.
- Discard onion, garlic and black pepper from stock. Take meat out and let it cool. Shred or cut meat into 5cm shreds. Set meat side. Set drained stock aside.
- Heat oil and chilli oil in a large saucepan. Add chilli powder and garlic, sauté over a gentle heat for about 2 mins, taking care not to burn chilli powder. Turn off the heat.
- Add meat and then all the remaining ingredients (except stock, noodles and eggs). Mix well and let sit to marinate for at least 15 mins.
- Add stock to the seasoned meat and vegetables. Bring this to a boil, then simmer for about 5 mins. Add in the noodles, then pour in the eggs in streams. Season with salt. Remove from heat and serve hot.
Tips – How to Cook Braken
- Soak dried bracken at least overnight in cold water.
- Boil rehydrated bracken for about 5-10 mins.
- Drain bracken and soak again in cold water for about 1 hr. Drain until ready to use.