- Heat olive oil in a saucepan. Cook pork quickly for about 2 mins over medium heat. Add garlic and continue cooking for 10 secs.
- Turn heat down to very low and add the chilli powder and chilli oil and cook for 2 mins. Stir well and make sure you don’t burn the chilli powder.
- Add water and onion and bring it to a boil. Simmer soup for about 5-7 mins. Put in vongole and cook for about 2-3 mins until shells have opened.
- Add the tofu with the rest of other ingredients and bring to a boil. Simmer soup for about 1-2 mins and season with extra salt if necessary.
- Your Soonduboo jjigae is ready to be devoured.
You can add 1 egg yolk to soup towards the end of cooking time, careful not to stir yolk until its set.
- Soonduboo jiggae can be enjoyed with pork without the addition of seafood.
- Use dookbaegi (Korean claypot) instead of saucepan for authentic Korean presentation.