- Wet the cabbage in salted water. Sprinkle some salt into each layer of cabbage leaves, especially into the white parts. Repeat for all the cabbage quarters.
- Place salted cabbage quarters in a large bowl and let sit for at least 5 hrs.
- When the cabbage is well wilted, wash cabbage 3 times and drain very well. Set aside.
- Combine chilli powder with fish sauce and mix well into julienned Korean radish in a large bowl. Blend garlic, ginger and salted shrimp, add to the chilli radish mixture. Add in sugar and spring onions, mix well.
- Spread chilli radish mixture into each layer of cabbage (mainly on the white part of the cabbage), rubbing the chilli well into the cabbage leaves. Repeat with all the cabbage quarters. Make sure you proportion the chilli radish mixture so that all cabbages are filled.
- Place cabbage quarters carefully into a clean good quality container and let kimchi ferment at room temperature for 2-3 days, or longer in cold weather. After fermenting to you liking, keep kimchi in the fridge.