- Coat pork ribs in potato starch.
- Deep fry until golden brown. Carefully remove from oil and drain on paper towel.
- Add soy sauce, tomato sauce, brown sugar, white vinegar, salt, ginger, cardamom pods and Shaoxing wine to large wok or pot. Heat over medium-high heat and stir until boiling.
- Carefully add ribs to sauce and pour in enough water to cover meat. Bring to the boil, then reduce to low and simmer for 1 hr.
- Remove ribs from braising liquid and set aside. Bring liquid to the boil and reduce down to a sticky sauce.
- While sauce is reducing, line the base of a wok or smoker with aluminium foil. Place jasmine tea, cooked rice and rock sugar on foil and arrange a rack or steamer basket over. Heat over medium-high heat and allow to smoke.
- Place ribs on rack and allow to smoke for 30 mins.
- Preheat oven to grill setting at 200°C. Line a baking tray with foil or baking paper.
- Once sauce has reduced, add in red food colouring if desired and turn off heat.
- Remove ribs from steamer and coat in glaze. Place on baking tray and cook under grill until glaze is sticky and slightly charred.
- Cut ribs and serve.