To Make Steamed Cakes
- Place a steamer over medium heat.
- Place paper cupcake liners onto a cupcake pan.
- In a bowl, sift the matcha powder, baking powder and the plain flour. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the egg and sugar together with an electric beater until fluffy.
- Slowly add the milk and oil, continue to beat until well combined.
- Add in the sifted ingredients and mix until the batter is smooth and well combined.
- Pour batter into the cupcake liners about ½ to ¾ full each.
- (Optional) Drop ½ tbsp red bean paste to the center of each cake, then press down slightly for the batter to cover it.
- Steam the cupcakes for 12 mins then turn heat off. Let the cupcake rest in the steamer for 5 mins before serving.
- Line the steamer lid with cloth to prevent water dropping onto the cakes.
- Depending on your desired finish, a fuller batter will create a cracked top after rising. Else, opt for less batter in each liner for a smooth, round top.