For the Palm Sugar Syrup:
- Tear pandan leaf into strips and tie strips together in a knot. In a small saucepan, add pandan leaf, sugar and ¼ cup of water, and simmer to about 5 mins. Keep stirring until sugar is completely dissolved. Discard pandan leaf and pour syrup through a sieve into a bowl. Set aside to cool.
For the Bubur
- In a mixing bowl, combine the coconut milk, rice flour and ½ tsp salt. Pour mixture through a fine sieve to get rid of lumps.
- Place mixture in a non-stick saucepan, add pandan leaves and cook the mixture on low heat for about 15-20 mins. While cooking, stir constantly until the mixture thickens and start to boil. Remove from the heat and pour into serving bowls.
- Combine the grated coconut and salt, and mix well.
- To serve, top bubur sumsum with the salty shredded coconut and a drizzle of Palm Sugar Syrup.