To Make the Ginger Syrup
- Combine the ginger, lemongrass, pandan leaves, sugar and 500ml of water in to a saucepan.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce to a simmer.
- After 15 mins of simmering, remove the saucepan from the heat and strain the syrup to remove the larger ingredients.
- Set the syrup aside.
To Make the Rice Balls
- In a food processor or blender, mix the roasted peanuts and sugar together.
- In a separate mixing bowl, place the glutinous flour and slowly pour in the water while kneading the flour.
- Continue to pour the water until the dough has a started to take a play dough like consistency.
- Divide the dough in to about 20 small balls. If you want to add colours to the dough, do it now while dividing the dough.
- Roll out one of the balls in to a flat disc and place about a teaspoon of the peanut filling in to the centre.
- Curl up the sides around the filling and roll the dough to return it to a ball shape and then repeat with the rest of the dough.
- To avoid the rice balls from drying out, cover them with a damp towel.
To Cook the Rice Balls
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and then gently drop each ball in to it.
- Cook the rice balls until they begin to float and then remove them from the pot.
- To serve, place a few of the rice balls in to a bowl and ladle over some of the ginger syrup.