- Rinse the chicken and pat dry with a paper towel. Insert half of the sliced garlic and ginger into the cavity. Set aside.
- To make the marinade, combine the remaining ingredients in a mixing bowl until the sugar has dissolved.
- Place the chicken into a large ziplock bag. Pour half of the marinade into the cavity, then the remaining marinade all over the chicken skin. Add in the rest of the sliced ginger and garlic. Seal the ziplock bag, ensuring you remove the air. Carefully rub the marinade all over the chicken to ensure it is covered.
- Transfer into a large mixing bowl and leave in the fridge to marinate overnight.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade, ensuring there is nothing left in the cavity.
- Place on a wire rack over a baking tray lined with foil. Allow to air dry for 1 hr, or until the skin is dry.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- When the skin has dried, use kitchen string to tie the legs together, and cover the wing tips and ends of the legs with some foil sprayed with oil.
- Roast for 90 mins on the bottom rack, rotating the tray every 30 mins. Check the internal temperature by inserting a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the leg. The temperature should read 75°C.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 20 mins, then serve.