- Soak fresh kazunoko in cold water for 2 days, changing water once daily. Store in the refrigerator.
- Gently remove membrane from the kazunoko pieces and store in cool water.
- In a small pot, soak dashi konbu in water for about 1 hr. Then, bring to a gentle boil.
- Add dried bonito dashi and soy sauce and simmer for about 10 mins.
- Allow the cooked broth to cool. Discard dashi konbu.
- Gently break apart kazunoko into bite-sized pieces using your hands. Do not cut.
- Place the pieces of kazunoko into the dashi broth and marinate in the refrigerator 1 to 2 days before serving.