To Make the Glutinous Ball
- In a large mixing bowl, add flour and sugar. Gradually add water (you don’t have to use all of it) and knead the dough until soft and smooth. It should be bouncy and easily kneadable, yet not too wet (sticky to the fingers), nor too dry (crumbling).
- Divide the dough depending on the number of different colours you intend to make.
- Add food colouring, one drop at a time, to each portion and knead until the colour is well distributed. Shape the dough to even-sized balls.
- Bring a pot of water (enough water to submerge the glutinous ball completely) to boil. Add the tang yuan into the boiling water and cook until they float to the surface. Transfer them immediately to a bowl of room temperature water until cooled or ready to serve.
To Cook the Ginger Sweet Soup
- To cook the ginger sweet soup, add all the ingredients – ginger, water, palm sugar and pandan to a pot.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer until the sugar is fully melted. Simmer for another 30 mins.
- To serve, add tang yuan to a serving bowl and ladle the sweet soup over.