- Hull strawberries, then using a knife, cut 2 slits at the top of 3 strawberries in the shape of a ‘V’ (to make a heart shape when sliced in half). Cut the remaining hulled strawberries in half.
- Slice kiwis horizontally into 1.5cm thick slices, then use a cutter to cut slices into a flower shape.
- Peel the mandarins and pull apart in halves.
- Place the mascarpone and heavy cream into a mixing bowl and beat on medium speed until well combined. Next, add in the sugar and continue beating until it reaches a stiff peak consistency.
- Lay 2 slices of bread on a cutting board. Spread a thin layer of cream onto one of the slices with a spatula. Arrange 1 piece of kiwi (standing), 1 whole strawberry (with ‘V’ slits on top) and half a mandarin diagonally across the piece of bread—where you will be slicing. Then, add 2 halved strawberries on the empty corners of the bread to balance out the height of the sandwich.
- Top with more cream and fill the gaps around the fruits.
- Top with the other slice of bread.
- Wrap the completed sandwich firmly with cling wrap (to keep its shape) and draw a line across the top to mark where the fruits are laid out and where to slice the sandwich later.
- Repeat steps until all ingredients are used up. Have a little fun and make variations of this sandwich with various fruits.
- Then, refrigerate the sandwiches for at least 2 hrs. Tip: After 1 hr, flip the sandwiches over to ensure an even spread of cream throughout the sandwich. The weight of cream will fall to the bottom slice of bread if not flipped over.
- After refrigeration and when ready to serve, remove the sandwich from the refrigerator. Using a sharp knife, slice across the sandwich diagonally to reveal the fruit design and serve immediately.