- Chop up whole chicken into 12 parts. Remove as much skin as possible.
- Using a pestle, pound the chicken pieces, crushing both flesh and bones.
- Place a smaller bowl upside down into a bigger bowl.
- Arrange pounded chicken pieces around the smaller bowl. Cover the big bowl with a plate.
- Place the covered bowl into a claypot or stockpot.
- Fill the claypot or stockpot with water until it covers half of the big bowl. Cover the pot and double boil with low heat for 3 hrs.
- Remove bowl from pot and remove all the chicken pieces.
- Slowly pick up the smaller bowl and chicken essence will flow out into the bigger bowl.
- Strain chicken essence into bowl and serve hot.