- To Make the Pickled Vegetables
- Combine all the ingredients and stir through until sugar dissolves. Leave for at least 15 mins before serving.
To Cook the Pork
- Preheat air fryer to 200°C.
- Place cuts on the meaty side of the pork belly, but do not pierce through to the skin. Turn pork over and score the skin of the pork belly.
- Mix the sauces, Shaoxing wine, pepper and five-spice powder in a small bowl, and rub onto the underside of the pork belly.
- Turn pork belly onto a sheet of foil. Rub bicarb soda all over the skin and into the cuts. Sprinkle salt on top and rub it all over the skin.
- Fold up the foil to resemble a tray to fold around the pork belly, exposing only the skin.
- Roast pork belly for 10 mins to dry up the skin. Then reduce heat to 180°C for 15 mins to cook the meat. Then increase heat to 220°C and bake for a further 10 mins to get crackling in the skin.
- Prepare a steamer, and steam the bao for 2-3 mins.
- Remove pork and rest for 5 mins. Brush salt off the skin, then slice.
- Fill the buns with sliced cucumber, sliced crackling pork, and top half a tsp of hoisin sauce, pickled vegetables, coriander and spring onion.