- Slice to remove and discard the base of the enoki mushrooms. Do not rinse mushrooms as the water will contribute to a soggy dish.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together tempura flour with garlic powder and sweet paprika powder.
- Add ice water slowly and whisk briefly to combine. Do not overmix as gluten will form in the batter. Using ice water is also key to making crispy tempura.
- Heat up oil in a deep frying pan or wok on high heat. Test the temperature of the oil with a bamboo chopstick. If bubbles rise rapidly around the chopstick, the oil is ready for frying.
- Tear enoki mushrooms into smaller bunches and fan them out. Dip into the batter, let the excess batter drip off and gently slide the enoki mushrooms into the hot oil. Use a pair of chopsticks and slowly stir to let mushrooms fan out. Fry both sides of the mushrooms for about 5 mins or until they turn golden brown.
- Remove mushrooms from oil and onto a paper towel to remove excess oil.
- Sprinkle mushrooms with togarashi and chopped spring onions.
- For the Spicy Mayo Dip, mix together mayonnaise with sriracha and sprinkle with more togarashi, if desired. Serve on the side.