For Dashi Stock
- Combine all ingredients in a pot and leave for overnight in the fridge to slowly extract the flavours of the ingredients. When ready to use, remove the mushrooms and kombu seaweed.
For Soba Sauce (Mentsuyu)
- Combine all ingredients in a pot and heat to boiling point. Remove from heat and let it cool to room temperature before chilling in the fridge.
- Boil 4-5L of water in a large deep pot. Cook the soba noodles by following the instructions on the packet or until it becomes the desired texture. Al dente is said to be the best texture for soba noodles.
- Once the soba noodles are cooked, drain and cool in ice water.
- Drain noodles and serve with cold soba sauce (mentsuyu). To enjoy, add the desired amount of garnish in the soba sauce. Pick up a mouthful of noodles with chopsticks and dip halfway in the sauce before slurping it down. Soba noodles are best consumed within 5 mins after cooled for the best texture and flavour.