- For the sushi rice, wash rice until water runs clear and drain. Place rice in rice cooker with water and soak for 30 mins. If cooking rice on stove top, bring water to a boil under high heat. Once water starts bubbling, turn to low heat and cook rice for 13 mins. Switch off fire and let it sit for 15 mins.
- In a small sauce pan, heat up rice vinegar, sugar and salt until sugar dissolves. Set aside to cool.
- Scoop cooked rice out onto a large flat plate and mix with vinegar mixture.
- Spread rice out to let it cool to room temperature.
To Make Filling
- Heat up frying pan with oil and sauté mushrooms for 3 mins.
- Add in shredded carrot and soaking water. Cook for 3 mins and add light soy sauce.
- Once the sauce dries up, dish up and set aside to cool.
To Make Egg Omelette (Kinshi Tamago)
- Beat eggs with salt, mirin and water. Go through a fine sieve to trap impurities.
- Heat up small frying pan with a little oil. Use a paper towel to absorb up the oil.
- Pour one ladle of beaten egg and swirl around the pan under low heat and let it cook. Flip over and cook the other side. Set aside to cool and continue the same process with balance egg mixture.
- Once cooled, roll all omelette up and slice thinly.
To Make Pickled Lotus Roots in Amazu Dressing
- In a small saucepan, heat up vinegar, sugar and salt until sugar dissolves and set aside to cool.
- Pour vinegar mixture over sliced lotus roots and let it soak for 2-3 hours or overnight.
To Assemble Chirashi Sushi
- Mix cooled sushi rice with mushroom and carrot filling. Sprinkle in toasted sesame seeds and mix well.
- Transfer mixed rice into a medium bowl.
- Firstly, layer with the egg omelette (Kinshi Tamago).
- Then add the pickled lotus roots, blanched prawns and fresh salmon cubes.
- Lastly, place cut blanched snow peas and tobiko in between prawns and salmon. Add a dollop of wasabi on top.