- Prepare a steamer by bringing water to boil on high heat.
- Line each bowl with cling wrap or a piece of baking paper. Make sure the lining is as close to the sides as possible.
- In a mixing bowl, sift rice flour, baking powder and icing sugar. Add water and food colouring, and mix well.
- Just before filling the moulds with the batter add baking soda and mix well.
- Fill each mould to ¾ full and steam on high heat for 15-20 mins. Insert a skewer into the middle of the cake. If the skewer comes out clean, the huat kueh is ready.
- Remove from steamer then take the huat kueh out from the moulds to cool.
- Serve plain or with any breakfast spread. When it becomes dry and hard the next day, steam the cakes again before eating.