- Place the fish on a plate, then on a steaming rack in a wok.
- Cover and steam for about 10 minutes or until thoroughly cooked through.
- Remove plate from the steamer, carefully pour off all of the liquid accumulated on the plate from steaming.
- Spread half the portion of the julienned ginger and the green portions of the spring onions over the fish. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a frying pan, add the white portions of julienned spring onions and sauté for a few seconds.
- Combine water, salt, sugar, soy sauce, and white pepper and add the mixture to the spring onions until it simmers. Pour over the fish.
- Next, heat 3 tablespoons of oil in a frying pan. Add the remaining julienned ginger and chopped garlic. Sauté until fragrant and then pour over the fish.
- Serve immediately with steamed rice.