For the Soup Jelly
- Add the pork rinds to a pot of cold water and bring to the boil. Cook until rinds become slightly transparent before removing from pot and rinsing to remove any impurities.
- Cut rinds into smaller strips and then add to a pot with the slices of ginger, spring onions, Shaoxing wine and enough water to cover. Cook for about 90 mins before allowing to cool down. Transfer to a blender, then blend for 30 secs.
- Strain blended mixture to remove any large pieces before pouring into a container and allowing to set.
For the Dumpling Fillings
- Soak minced ginger with spring onions in ½ cup of water for 10 mins before combining with minced pork in a large bowl. When mixing the water and meat, pour water in a quarter at a time to ensure that the water is well incorporated.
- Add soy sauce, salt, oyster sauce, sesame oil and sugar, and mix well before setting aside for 30 mins to marinate.
- Mince the soup jelly and mix in with the dumpling filling.
For the Dumpling Wrappers
- Add the flour and water into a mixing bowl and knead until the dough becomes smooth but is still stretchy. Cover dough with a damp cloth and let rest for 20 mins.
- Dust your working surface with flour and knead dough again for 5 mins before rolling it into a long cylinder.
- Cut the roll into smaller sections and form balls of dough weighing 5g each. Roll out these balls into round wrapper shapes about 6.5-7 cm in diameter, to be folded.
- Note: Ensure any pieces of dough that aren’t being handled are covered by a damp cloth to prevent them from drying out.
To Make the Dumplings
- Place a dumpling wrapper in the centre of your hand and place 1 tbsp of the dumpling filling into the centre.
- With your right thumb and middle finger under the wrapper and your forefinger on the top, lift the edge and pinch it to make a pleat. Use your left hand to gather more dough, then pinch with your index finger. Continue doing this all the way around, making sure your thumb never leaves the first pleat.
- Pinch the top to seal the dumpling.
- Set up a bamboo steamer with perforated paper steamer liners over a wok filled with water. Heat the water on high.
- Once the water has boiled, place dumplings into steamer with adequate room between each dumpling. Close lid and allow dumplings to steam for at least 8 mins.
- When the dumplings are done, carefully remove them from the steamer and serve with freshly julienned ginger and Chinese black vinegar.