For the soup jelly
- Add the pork rinds to a pot of cold water and bring to boil. Cook until rinds become slightly transparent before removing from pot and rinsing to remove any impurities.
- Cut rinds into smaller strips and then add to a pot with slices of ginger, green onions, cooking wine and enough water to cover. Cook for about 90 mins before allowing to cool down. Blend for a few seconds.
- Filter blended mixture to remove any large pieces before pouring into a container and allowing to set.
For the dumpling wrappers
- Add the flour and water into a mixing bowl and knead until the dough becomes smooth but is still stretchy. Cover dough with a damp cloth and let rest for about 20 mins.
- Dust the surface you’re working on with flour and knead dough again for about 5 mins before rolling it into a long cylinder.
- Cut the roll into smaller sections and form balls of dough weighing 5g each. Roll out these balls into round wrapper shapes about 6.5-7 cm in diameter, to be folded.
- Note: Ensure any pieces of dough that aren’t being handled are covered by a damp cloth to prevent them from drying out.
For the dumpling fillings
- Soak minced ginger with green onions in half a cup of water for about 10 mins before combining with minced pork in a large bowl. When mixing the water and meat, pour water in a quarter at a time to ensure that the water is well incorporated.
- Add soy sauce, salt, oyster sauce, sesame oil and sugar and mix well before setting aside to allow the seasoning to be absorbed by the meat.
- Mince the soup jelly and mix with the dumpling filling.
To Make the Dumplings
- Place a dumpling wrapper in the centre of your hand and place 1 tbs of the dumpling filling into the centre.
- Fold an edge of the wrapper and continue to fold around the dumpling until a ring forms around the top of the dumpling and it becomes sealed.
- Set up a steamer with non-stick baking paper, cloth or zongzi leaves on the base to stop dumplings from sticking.
- Once the water has boiled, place dumplings into steamer with adequate room between each dumpling. Close lid and allow dumplings to steam for at least 8 mins.
- When the dumplings are done, remove them from the steamer and serve with freshly julienned ginger and Chinese black vinegar.