- In a large pot with cold water, add the beef, one spring onion and several ginger slices. Bring the water to a boil and then remove the beef from the water. Discard the rest of the water and herbs. This to remove any impurities from the meat.
- In a large pot, heat up some oil and fry the doubanjiang for half minute over low heat. Then add the rest of the ginger, garlic, leek, red onion and all the dry spices and fry until aromatic.
- Add the beef to the pot and stir fry for several minutes until the beef is browned on all sides.
- Add the tomato wedges and warm stock to the pot. Bring the stock to a boil on medium high heat and then lower the heat to medium low and simmer for about an hour.
- Remove the beef from the soup, and pour the soup through a strainer to remove all the herbs and aromatics. Make sure the soup is strained into another pot.
- Season the soup with salt to taste and allow the soup to simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Cook the noodles according to packet instructions. Then portion into separate bowls. Top with a few pieces of beef and cover with the warm soup. Garnish with some chopped green onions and coriander. Serve hot.