To Make the Kerisik
- In a dry pan, toast the shredded coconut over a low heat for 30-40 mins or until brown, stirring frequently. Set aside to cool completely, then grind into a fine powder.
To Make the Rendang Paste
- In a blender or food processor, add in all the rendang paste ingredients. Blend into a fine paste and set aside.
- In a pot, heat some oil on medium heat. Add in the star anise, cinnamon stick, cardamom pods, cloves and bruised lemongrass. Cook for a few mins until fragrant.
- Add in rendang paste. Cook on low heat for 20-30 mins until paste thickens, stirring frequently.
- Add in chicken and stir to combine. Add in water, and stir through. Bring to a simmer, then cook over a low heat for 25 mins or until the chicken is fully cooked, stirring occasionally.
- Add in palm sugar, salt, kerisik, tamarind juice, coconut milk, kaffir lime leaves and stir to combine.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 30 mins on low heat until the sauce thickens and the oil separates, stirring occasionally.