- Bring water to a boil in a pot over high heat. Scald beef chunks for 2 mins. Remove and set aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp of cooking oil in a wok on high heat. Fry spring onions, ginger and garlic until fragrant.
- Add beef and stir fry briefly and drizzle with cooking wine. Add dark soy sauce, then pour in 3 cups of water, making sure that the beef is fully covered.
- Add star anise and red chillies, then bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to low heat and simmer for 1 hr.
- Add radish and carrots to the pot and continue to simmer for another 15 mins.
- Season to taste.
- If you prefer the sauce thicker, turn up the heat to boil until it thickens.
- Serve and garnish with spring onions.