- Bring 5L water to the simmer in a large saucepan over medium heat, plunge in chicken, cook for 10-20 seconds, then refresh under cold running water (discard water).
- Transfer chicken to a clean saucepan and add Shaoxing wine, ginger, ½ tsp sea salt and top up with enough cold water to cover generously. Bring it to a boil and then reduce heat to low-medium and gently simmer until chicken is cooked through for 1-1¼ hours. Remove from heat and let chicken cool completely in liquid for about 3-4 hours. Coarsely shred meat (discard skin, bones and sinew) and transfer to a bowl.
- While the chicken is cooling, make the dressing. Combine ginger, garlic and 120ml hot water in a bowl and stand to infuse (20 min). Pass through a fine sieve (discard solids) into a clean bowl, add remaining ingredients and set aside.
- Blanch bean sprouts in a saucepan of simmering water until just wilted for about 5 secs. Refresh in iced water, drain well and place over a serving platter.
- Top the chicken, drizzle the dressing, garnish with spring onion and sesame seeds and serve at room temperature.