A melange of fresh herbs with the goodness of pickled papaya and carrot in this dish is sure to make you hungry.
Grilled Sliced Pork:
300 grams pork shoulder (alternatively, use pork belly for richer taste)
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 and 1/2 teaspoon fish sauce
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
3/4 teaspoon honey
1 tsp salt
3 cloves of garlic minced
3 large shallots minced
1 tsp dark thick soy sauce
2 white spring onion (1 tablespoon worth, finely chop)
Grilled Pork Patties:
300g minced meat (at least 30% fat)
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp fish sauce
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp honey
1 tsp seasoning powder (or salt)
3 cloves of garlic minced, make to paste
3 large shallots minced
1 tbsp dark thick soy sauce
1 tbsp white cut of spring onion (finely chopped)
Sauce Ingredients and Ratio:
5 water (or pork broth) : 1 fish sauce : 1 sugar : 1 1/4 vinegar
For 4 people, use 250ml broth/water, 50ml fish sauce, 50ml sugar and roughly 60ml of vinegar to make 410ml dipping sauce
Pickle Ingredients and Vinegar Ratio:
1 carrot (thinly sliced)
1/2 small green papaya (thinly sliced)
1 vinegar : 2 sugar : 2 water
(just like how the dipping sauce is made)
1. Grilled Slice Pork – Slice the pork shoulder into slices about 5cm lengths, 4cm width, and about 1/2cm thickness. Place into a zip-lock bag with the rest of the ingredients to marinate for at least 2 hours in room temperature or overnight in the refrigerator.
2. Grilled Pork Patties – Mix ground pork with the rest of the ingredients and leave to marinate in room temperature or fridge for the same amount of time as the sliced pork.
3. To make the minced pork into patties, first shape the ground pork mixture into round balls of approximately 5cm diameter and flatten patties to 1cm in thickness.
4. Use a grill rack or charcoal BBQ griller to cook the pork. If cooking in an oven, set oven to 200°C to broil until golden brown.
5. Grill the patties and the sliced pork until both sides are golden brown, roughly 10 minutes per side.
In a medium saucepan, combine all the ingredients above and cook over low heat until the broth is lukewarm (not boil).
Pickle Preparation Steps:
Make enough pickling vinegar to immerse the sliced carrots and papaya. Let it sit at room temperature for at least 2 hrs.
1. When meats are done, place in a covered medium sized sauce pan containing the dipping sauce. The juices of the meat will darken and meld with the fish sauce.
2. Transfer to large serving bowl and serve with rice vermicelli topped with fresh herbs, lettuce, pickled carrot and papaya, and minced garlic.
Find your nearest Asian Store