This Korean beef recipe combines the rich flavours of shiitake mushrooms with a host of other vegetables in the broth.
2 packets Obap Korean Beef Stir Fry Sauce
1 kg Beef short ribs
1 clove Garlic
2 cm piece Ginger
1 large Carrot, cut into large cubes
5 pieces Dried Shiitake mushrooms, rehydrated in warm water for at least 45 minutes
2 Green onions, cut into large slices
1 cup Daikon radish, 4cm pieces (optional)
1 Nashi pear (optional)
1. Soak beef in cold water for at least 30 minutes. Drain meat. Boil a pot of water with 1 clove garlic, 2cm piece ginger and ½ onions. Cook meat in hot water briefly, about 5 minutes. Drain meat and wash away impurities. Discard garlic, ginger and onions.
2. Place meat in a pot again with cold water, water level should be just to cover the meat.
3. Bring the ribs to a boil and cook in moderate heat for about 20 minutes. Take the ribs out and reserve the stock. Make a few slits in each rib meat.
4. Pour Obap Korean Beef Stir Fry Sauce over the ribs with the reserved stock. Bring the ribs to a boil and simmer gently over low heat for at least 1½ hours. Add extra water if needed.
5. Add the vegetables and green onions and cook for another 30 minutes.
6. Add blended Nashi pear for extra flavour to the dish when cooking.
Find your nearest Asian Store