- Soak the bones for about 1 hr in cold water and then drain in a colander.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and add bones. Cook about 6-8 mins to bring to boil again.
- Drain the bones into a colander and wash the bones under running water. Clean the pot.
- Return the bones to the pot, add 8-10 cups of water and bring it to boil. Skim off scum that floats to the top and add the onion, garlic and ginger. Bring it to a boil again and continue to boil uncovered over medium heat for another 5-10 mins.
- Lower the heat to simmer for about 1½-2 hrs or until the soup is getting milky and the meat is falling off the bones.
- Discard the onion, ginger and garlic, there should be pork bones and about 5 cups of pork broth. Add the seasonings, potatoes and seasoned cabbage to the pot. Bring it to a boil and then simmer for about 5-10 mins.
- Add perilla leaves, ground perilla seeds and soybean powder just before serving.