- While rice is hot, add sugar and rice vinegar and cool.
- Place a sheet of seaweed along the bottom of the bamboo sushi mat.
- Firmly press ¾ cup of rice onto the mat covering ⅔ of the seaweed. Place a line of mayonnaise along the rice about 2cm from the bottom.
- Place on top of each other a row of crab sticks and avocado.
- Placing both hands under the bottom of the mat at either end, proceed to roll up the seaweed ensuring the first full roll encloses all of the ingredients. Roll as tightly as possible.
- Wrap in cling wrap and place in refrigerator for 15 mins before cutting. When slicing, use a very sharp knife, pierce the seaweed and then slice. Use a hot cloth to wipe the knife between slices.
- Serve this Japanese California Rolls with a dish of soy sauce, wasabi and pickled ginger.