- When the dried shrimp have soaked enough to be soft, coarsely chop them into smallish pieces.
- Peel the cucumbers, and cut in half lengthwise. Remove the seeds and proceed to cut the cucumbers into large matchsticks about ½ cm thick.
- Mix in 2 tsp of salt with the cucumber in a bowl and let it sit for 20-30 minutes. Drain off any liquid that is extracted from the cucumber.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the cucumbers, shallots, sambal belacan, dried shrimp, salt and sugar. Toss and mix the salad well, making sure that all the ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Transfer the completed salad to a serving bowl and serve immediately with steamed rice.