Japanese California Rolls
This easy Japanese California rolls recipe by Asian Inspirations shows you how to make perfect Japanese California rolls at home. Read how to prepare and ingredients used.
Cooking Time: 30mins - 60mins
Total time: 60mins - 120mins
2 cups Kokuho Sushi Rice (cooked as normal steamed rice)
¼ cup Obento Rice Vinegar
2 tbsp white sugar
4 Obento Yakinori Seaweed Sheets
1 tbsp S&B Wasabi Paste
4 tbsp Kewpie Mayonnaise
½ Fresh avocado (cut into slices)
4 long slices of cucumber (deseeded)
8 cooked large prawns (shelled and deveined or seafood stick pieces)
2 sliced dried mushrooms (soaked and boiled in 1 tbsp dark soy and 1 tbsp sugar)
8 pieces carrot (julienned)
Obento Sushi Soy Sauce (for dipping)
- Cook rice and prepare mushrooms.
- While rice is hot, add sugar and rice vinegar and cool. Place a sheet of seaweed along the bottom of the bamboo mat.
- Press firmly ¾ cup of rice onto the mat covering ⅔ of the seaweed. Place a line of wasabi along the rice about 2cm from the bottom and some mayonnaise next to it.
- Place on top of each other a row of cucumber, prawn, avocado, carrot and mushroom.
- Placing both hands under the bottom of the mat at either end, proceed to roll up the seaweed ensuring the first full roll encloses all of the ingredients. Roll as tightly as possible.
- Wrap in cling wrap and place in refrigerator for 15 mins before cutting. When slicing, use a very sharp knife, pierce the seaweed and then slice. Use a hot cloth to wipe the knife between slices.
- Serve this Japanese California Rolls with a dish of soy and a small mound of wasabi.