Chinese Roast Chicken uses Chinese flavours to put a twist on the classic Roast Chicken. Try this recipe out for your next Sunday roast. Recipe by Asian Inspirations.
1 chicken (1-1.5kgs)
4 cloves garlic (lightly pounded)
3cm piece ginger (peeled and sliced)
3 tbsp soy sauce
1½ tbsp honey
½ tsp Chinese five-spice powder
½ tsp Shaoxing wine
½ tsp sesame oil
¼ tsp salt
3 dashes white pepper
1 tbsp oil
¼ tsp sesame oil
1 tsp honey
1. Clean the chicken with some water. Make sure to clean inside the cavity as well as the outside skin. Pat dry with some kitchen towels. Using some kitchen twine, tie the legs together, this will help the bird cook evenly in the oven.
2. In a small bowl, mix all of the marinade ingredients together and rub it generously on the skin and in the cavity of the chicken. Place the garlic and ginger in the cavity of the bird.
3. Place the bird in a large enough marinade bag and pour whatever is left of the marinade in with the bird. Seal the marinade bag and marinate the chicken in the fridge overnight.
4. Once the chicken has marinated enough, remove the chicken from the marinade bag and remove the garlic and ginger. Leave the chicken out to air dry at room temperature until the skin is no longer wet. If you have a fan, turning it on will speed up this process.
5. Turn on your oven and set to 200°C. Place your chicken in a roasting pan with a rack so that the fat and drippings can be collected.
6. Once the oven has heated up, place the chicken on the lowest rack and roast for 45 minutes. At 45 minutes, flip the chicken around and roast the other side for another 15 minutes.
7. While the chicken is roasting, mix the ingredients for the skin coating together. Once the chicken has roasted for an hour, brush the entire chicken with the skin coating mix. Then roast for a further 10 minutes on each side or until the skin turns a beautiful golden brown.
8. Remove the chicken from the oven and allow to cool. Once cooled, cut up the bird into decent sized pieces and serve with the collected drippings together with steamed white rice.
Find your nearest Asian Store