- Using a large heavy-bladed knife or cleaver, cut the crabs in half and scrape off the spongy grey gills, then twist off and crack the claws.
- Turn the body over and pull off the apron pieces. Rinse well under cold running water.
- Heat oil in a large deep frying pan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook until softened. Add in the garlic, ginger and chillies, XO sauce and curry paste and cook for 1-2 mins or until aromatic.
- Stir in coconut milk, sugar, fish sauce and pumpkin. Bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat to low then add water. Add the crabs and simmer for 5-6 mins or until cooked. The crabs will turn pink or red when they are ready and the flesh will turn opaque.
- Drizzle the liquid from the pan over the crabs. And scatter the water spinach on top. Simmer for 5-6 mins.
- Serve immediately with rice and fried dried anchovies. Garnish with coriander leaves. Serve with lime wedges and rice.