Yaki Onigiri (Grilled Rice Ball)
A favourite in Izakayas (Japanese bars), yaki onigiri are Japanese rice balls grilled until the rice is crispy on the outside and soft on the inside, and then covered in savoury soy sauce.
Total time: 15mins - 30mins
2 cups medium grain brown rice (cooked)
Umeboshi (pickled plum)
Konbu (seasoned seaweed)
Okaka (dried bonito flakes with soy sauce)
- Lightly season the cooked rice with table salt.
- Using a generous piece of plastic wrap, place portion of cooked rice, add filling in the center (optional), wrap with plastic wrap, then mould into balls.
- Lightly spray the grill of the broiler grill with cooking spray to prevent the rice ball from sticking.
- Over medium heat, allow the rice ball to grill on both sides until golden brown and slightly crisp. Time may vary from 15 to 20 mins depending on your grill.
- Drizzle soy sauce over yaki onigiri and serve immediately.