Using Thai flavours, this clam dish is hot, sour and aromatic. Get this recipe for Thai Steamed Clams with Lemongrass (Hoi Tom Takrai). Recipe by Asian Inspirations.
350g clams (rinsed and scrubbed)
1 stalk lemongrass (discard green part and cut into thin slices diagonally)
3 slices galangal
6 birds eyes chilies (lightly pounded)
1 cup coconut water
6 kaffir lime leaves (slightly bruised)
fish sauce to taste
2 tbsp fresh lime juice
1. You can easily pound the birds eye chilli and kaffir lime leaves using a mortar and pestle.
2. Heat up a wok with some oil. When the oil begins to smoke, quickly add the lemongrass, galangal, bird’s eye chilies and stir fry until fragrant.
3. Add the clams to the wok and combine with the previous ingredients. Follow up by adding the coconut water.
4. Add the kaffir lime leaves before covering the wok. Let the clams cook covered until they are done. You can tell the clams are done when they are all open and should only take a couple of minutes, try not to overcook the clams.
5. Add some lime juice and fish sauce to taste. Give it a good stir to mix.
6. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve immediately with some steamed rice.
Find your nearest Asian Store