Start to spice up your Asian cooking skills with the Japanese delight; Tamagoyaki Omelette. Its versatility is endless as an entree or breakfast, too.
• 4 eggs
• 1 tbsp Japanese soy sauce
• 1 tbsp mirin
• 1 tbsp sugar
• pinch of salt
• cooking oil as needed
1. First, beat your eggs well in a bowl (with a fork or if you feel comfortable using chopsticks).
2. Add one tablespoon of soy sauce, mirin and sugar respectively, and a little salt to your mix.
3. Put a small amount of cooking oil in your pan and bring it up to medium heat.
4. Add a small amount of your egg mix into the heated pan. Once the egg has cooked slightly and when the top is still slightly uncooked, roll it over to the side of your pan.
5. Add a little more oil to the pan and add another small amount of the egg mix to your pan. Again, wait for this to cook a little, but before it sets on top. You can then begin to roll the first bit of egg over the mix you just put in the pan until you have a small roll of egg.
6. Keep adding a small amount of egg while oiling the pan each time in between. As you add more egg and roll it up each time, your egg roll will start getting larger and easier to add new layers. Keep adding the egg in new layers until you have used it all up.
7. Your tamagoyaki is now finished so remove from the pan and wait to cool before slicing it up into thin pieces with a sharp knife.
- Instead of using mirin and soy sauce, you can simply use normal Japanese dashi soup stock to achieve similar results. Try using one sachet of dashi stock powder for a great taste.
- After cooking, you can place the tamagoyaki in a sushi rolling mat and roll up tightly to get a solid roll. This is a good idea especially when you first start making tamagoyaki to make sure the roll is tight and easy to cut.
- You can try adding different ingredients like spring onion and nori seaweed for extra flavour. Just make sure to chop them up very finely before you add them to the mix.
- use special square frying pan to make tamagoyaki could be easier
Find your nearest Asian Store