Ssambap or Korean lettuce wraps are perfect little packages of rice, flavourful meat seasoned with zingy sauce (ssamjang) in a crisp leafy vegetable. Ssambap which simply means 'wrapped rice', is very easy to put together. Go wild with the combinations of meats, vegetables and sauces, or have them the traditional way with galbi (short ribs), bulgogi (thinly sliced beef) or bossam (pork belly wrapped in cabbage leaves).
1 stalk spring onions
2 green gepper (chopped)
1 red pepper (chopped)
60g medium shrimp (deshelled and deveined)
2 shiitake mushrooms (soaked overnight)
1/2 cup water
1 tbsp onions (minced)
1 tsp garlic (minced)
2 tbsp sesame oil
4 tbsp doenjang (fermented soybean paste)
2 tbsp honey
2 tbsp garlic (minced)
1. Combine ingredients A, mix well and set aside.
2. Combine ingredients B, mix well and set aside.
3. Mince onions, green pepper and red pepper and set aside.
4. Chop shrimps into bite sized pieces and mince the mushrooms.
5. Heat a pan over medium heat. Add shrimp, mushrooms, and seasoning A. Lightly saute. Then, add water 1/2 cup and Seasoning B. Bring the pan’s contents to boil.
6. Stir the pan’s contents for several minutes. Then, simmer to reduce the broth to a paste-like consistency making the sauteed soybean paste.
7. Transfer the paste to a small sauce dish. Garnish with chopped spring onions and peppers to serve.
Find your nearest Asian Store