The highlight of this Spicy Shoyu Ramen is the delicious spicy soup. Try this easy homemade ramen recipe and top with your favourite ingredients. Recipe by Asian Inspirations.
3 packages ramen noodles
1½ tbsp sesame oil
3 cloves garlic (minced)
5-6 cm piece of ginger (minced)
3 tsp chili bean sauce
3 cups chicken stock
3 cups dashi
3¾ tbsp soy sauce
¾ tbsp sake
2 tsp salt (to taste)
1 ½ tsp granulated sugar
20gms dried kombu
30gms bonito flakes
1 lt water
Menma (fermented bamboo shoots)
1 soft-boiled egg
3 pieces of nori (seaweed)
3-6 slices Narutomaki (Japanese fish cakes)
1. Wipe your kombu with a damp cloth to clean off any impurities, then make a few shallow cuts into the kombu.
2. Add the water to a pot and add the kombu to and the pot. Allow it to soak for about 30 minutes before turning on the heat.
3. Turn the heat on medium and let it boil slowly. Remove from heat just as the water begins to boil.
4. Add the bonito flakes and return to the heat. Allow the water to simmer for another 1 minute. Be careful not the let it boil over.
5. Remove the dashi from the heat and wait for the bonito flakes to sink to the bottom of the pot.
6. Finally, strain the dashi and use for the rest of this recipe. If there is any leftover dashi it can be stored in the fridge for about 1 week.
1. Heat up the sesame oil in a large pot and add your minced garlic and ginger. Sauté until fragrant.
2. Add the chilli bean sauce and mix well.
3. Next add the rest of the ingredients for the soup and allow it to simmer for several minutes over medium low heat.
4. Season the soup with salt, and then strain the soup through a fine mesh strainer or cheese cloth into another pot.
5. Once the soup is done, prepare the ramen noodles as per packet instructions.
6. Place the noodles in a bowl and add your toppings before ladling over with the soup. Serve immediately.
Find your nearest Asian Store