Steamed Radish Cake is soft and delicate with a crispy crust when pan-fried. Recreate this delicious savoury yum cha dish in your kitchen. Recipe by Asian Inspirations.
300g white radish (washed, and peeled)
200g rice flour
25g tapioca flour
500ml boiling water
1 Chinese sausage (diced into small pieces)
10g shiitake mushrooms (soak in warm water till soft, diced into small piececs)
25g dried shrimp (soak in water for 15 mins, finely mince)
50g shallot (finely minced)
1 tbsp sugar
1½ tsp salt
1 tsp chicken powder
1 tsp pepper
½ tsp sesame oil
1. Grate your radish using a handheld grater, then using your hands squeeze out any excess water. Place in a bowl and set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine rice flour, tapioca flour and water to form a flour paste and set aside.
3. Start boiling 500ml of water in a pot and separately heat up some cooking oil in wok, and stir fry the shallots for a few minutes. Add the Chinese sausage, mushrooms and dried shrimp to the wok and stir fry until aromatic.
4. Next add the ingredients for the seasoning and stir fry for a few more minutes. Then pour all the fried ingredients into the pot of boiling water.
5. If the water has stopped boiling, bring it back up to a boil. Then pour the contents of the pot into the flour paste we made in step (2). Using a large spoon, mix to combine the flour paste with the water and other ingredients.
6. Next, add the grated radish into the flour mixture in 4 separate batches. Make sure each batch of grated radish has been properly combined with the mixture before adding the next batch.
7. Then add in the radish in 4 portions and use wooden spoon to separate the radish evenly and stir well.
8. Pour the radish cake mixture into a 20cm by 10cm loaf pan. Then place the loaf pan into a steamer on high heat and steam for 35 minutes.
9. Once the radish cake is done, remove it from the steamer and allow it to cool.
10. Slice the radish cake into 2cm thick slices. Pan fry each slice until golden on each side and serve with dipping sauce of your choice. Usually dipping sauces used are a simply chilli sauce, but can be easily replaced with Sriracha sauce or similar. Enjoy! These steamed radish cakes also go well with a bowl of piping hot rice or porridge.
Find your nearest Asian Store