The cucur udang is a commonly found Malaysian street food which can be found in most markets. The prawn fritters are crunchy outside, with a soft, pillowy inside and are delicious when served hot with chilli dip.
1 cup plain flour
3 tbsp rice flour
5 large prawns (cut into small chunks)
1 whole onion (thinly sliced and caramelised)
A handful of bean sprouts
2 spring onions (cut 5cm strips)
1 carrot (cut in thin 5cm strips)
Salt, pepper and sugar (to taste)
½ cup water
1. Combine plain and rice flour together in a large bowl.
2. Add prawns, onions, bean sprouts, spring onions and carrots in the bowl.
3. Slowly add in the water and mix well. The mixture shouldn’t be too thick or runny. Ensure that all ingredients are coated well with flour.
4. Season with a pinch of salt, sugar and pepper.
5. Heat up oil in wok. Slowly put in some of the fritter batter into the hot oil and deep fry for a few minutes until crunchy. The size of each fritter is up to you, smaller ones give more crunch, while larger ones have a soft, fluffy texture on the inside.
6. Drain and remove excess oil. Allow to cool for a bit and serve warm.
Find your nearest Asian Store