This Mixed Vegetable Stew (Nyonya Chap Chye) uses veggies, dried ingredients and glass noodles. Get the recipe for this Peranakan dish. Recipe by Asian Inspirations.
1 head round white cabbage (cut into large pieces)
6 dried cloud ears (soaked in water until soft)
2 long sticks of dried beancurd, (soaked to rehydrate, then cut into bite-sized pieces)
5 dried shiitake mushrooms (soaked to rehydrate, then cut in half) (reserve soaking liquid)
1 small handful of dried lily bulbs (hard tips removed, and soak to rehydrate) (reserve soaking liquid)
2 tbsp dried shrimps (soaked in water until soft) (reserve soaking liquid)
1 bundle glass noodles (soaked in water until soft)
1 tbsp taucu (soy bean paste)
4 cloves garlic (minced)
1 small onion (minced)
1 tbsp oil
dash of white pepper
salt to taste
1. Heat up some oil in a wok over medium high heat. Add the garlic and onions and sauté until fragrant. Add the taucu and sauté for another minute.
2. Add the chopped cabbage and continue cooking until the cabbage becomes soft.
3. Add the other ingredients to the wok except the glass noodles. If the ingredients had to be soaked, toss them into the wok together with the soaking liquid, then top up with enough water to cover all the ingredients.
4. Bring to a boil then cover the wok with a lid. Let it simmer for about 10 minutes.
5. Check the vegetables to see if they are done. When they are, add the glass noodles and mix well. Let it stew simmer uncovered until the sauce reduces, but make sure not to let the sauce completely dry up.
6. Season with salt and pepper and serve with steamed white rice.
Find your nearest Asian Store