Korean Hangover Soup (Haejung-Guk) is the perfect meal after a wild night. Get rid of that horrible hangover with this delicious and hearty soup. Recipe by Asian Inspiraitons.
1 large piece dried kombu (13cm x 13cm, gently clean with a damp cloth)
4 dried shiitake mushrooms
2 spring onions (cut in half)
1 tbsp red pepper flakes
15 green napa cabbage leaves
8 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
2 tbsp doenjang (Korean bean paste)
1/3 cup gochugaru (Korean red pepper flakes)
1 tbsp sesame oil
2 tbsp fish sauce
3 tbsp mirin
½ tsp black pepper
1kg chuck steak (cut into bite-sized pieces)
250gms Korean radish (cut into bite-sized pieces)
3 stalks spring onions (cut into 5cm pieces)
2 handfuls of bean sprouts
1. Add all the ingredients except the cabbage leaves and bring to a boil. Stir the ingredients together to mix well.
2. Remove the kombu from the broth when it begins to boil and discard it.
3. Blanch the cabbage leaves in the boiling broth for a couple of minutes, then remove from the broth and place in a bowl. Set the cabbage leaves aside for later.
4. Simmer the broth for about 10 minutes on medium-low heat. Then strain the broth and discard the broth ingredients. Reserve the broth for later.
1. Mix all the ingredients in a bowl. Make sure all the ingredients are mixed well.
2. Split the sauce into 2 even portions. Mix one portion with the beef.
3. Cut your cabbage leaves into 2-3cm wide strips and mix with the other half of the sauce.
4. Make sure that the beef and cabbage strips are evenly coated with the sauce and set aside for later.
1. Heat up a pot on high heat and add the beef and Korean radish. Stir fry for a couple of minutes before adding the broth and cabbage leaves into the pot.
2. Allow the soup to start boiling, then reduce the heat to medium and allow it to simmer for about 20 minutes.
3. Lastly, add in the bean sprouts and spring onions to the pot and continue to let the soup simmer for another 5 minutes.
4. Remove the pot from the heat and serve the soup with some steamed white rice.
Find your nearest Asian Store