Kerabu Timun is a Spicy Cucumber Salad that uses dried shrimp and sambal belachan to enhance the flavour of the dish. Get this Malaysian recipe. Recipe by Asian Inspirations.
½ cup dried shrimps (rinsed and soaked in hot water)
2 large cucumbers
2 tsp salt
6 shallots (peeled and thinly sliced)
2 tbsp sambal belacan
½ tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
1. When the dried shrimp have soaked enough to be soft, coarsely chop them into smallish pieces.
2. Peel the cucumbers, and cut in half lengthwise. Remove the seeds and proceed to cut the cucumbers into large matchsticks about ½ cm thick.
3. Mix in 2 tsp of salt with the cucumber in a bowl and let it sit for 20-30 minutes. Drain off any liquid that is extracted from the cucumber.
4. In a large mixing bowl, add the cucumbers, shallots, sambal belacan, dried shrimp, salt and sugar. Toss and mix the salad well, making sure that all the ingredients are evenly distributed.
5. Transfer the completed salad to a serving bowl and serve immediately with steamed rice.
Find your nearest Asian Store