Kabocha Tempura is the perfect combination of sweet Japanese pumpkin and a light, crispy batter. Enjoy this dish as an appetizer. Recipe by Asian Inspirations.
¾ cup plain flour
¼ cup potato starch
1 cup ice-cold water
Neutral oil (for deep frying)
Salt to taste
Tempura dipping sauce (optional)
1. Discard seeds and pith of the Kabocha, leaving the skin on. Slice into 10 thin pieces, about 6mm in thickness. Set aside.
2. Sift plain flour and add potato starch in a small mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, add ice-cold water and egg, whisk vigorously. Slowly pour egg mixture into the flour, mix the batter for about a minute with chopsticks in a ‘figure 8’ motion. Don’t overmix the batter, leave a few lumps in the mixture.
3. In a deep pan, heat oil over high heat to 180 degrees Celsius.
4. Dip kabocha slices into the tempura batter one at a time, letting it cook for approximately 2 mins or until batter is light golden brown and kabocha is tender. Avoid deep frying more than 3-4 pieces of kabocha in the pot at any time.
5. Serve immediately with tempura dipping sauce.
Find your nearest Asian Store