Grilled Sea Bass in Banana Leaf Wrap
An authentic tasting, moist fish with the subtle aroma of the banana leaf wrap. This is a wonderful yet simple way to prepare grilled sea bass! Try this Indonesian recipe.
Total time: 15mins - 30mins
600g sea bass (whole, de-scaled and gutted)
2 tbsp turmeric powder
1 lime (juiced and de-fleshed)
4 banana leaves
4 red chilli (thinly sliced)
3 cloves garlic (chopped)
4 shallot (chopped)
5g galangal (sliced)
5g Valcom Kaffir Lime Leaves (chopped)
3 stalks lemongrass
2 tsp ABC Sweet Soy Sauce
1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
1 tomatoes (deseeded and diced)
1 tbsp red capsicum (diced)
- In a large bowl, combine the turmeric, the juice and flesh of a lime with the fish and allow to marinade for 15 mins.
- Put all sauce ingredients except for cooking oil in a food processor and process into a rough mix.
- In a sauce pan, heat the cooking oil over high heat and stir fry sauce mix for 1 min. Lay banana leaves down and spread 2 heaped tbsp of the sauce over the leaf.
- Score 3 slits in both sides of each fish and place fish onto the sauce on the banana leaf. Spoon another 3 tbsp of sauce mixture over the upward facing side of the fish.
- Wrap the fish with banana leaf and the banana leaf in aluminium foil. Grill the fish or barbeque for 8 mins, turning once.
- Using tongs and a fork, remove foil and open banana leaf and serve immediately with hot rice and Asian greens.