This soup pairs the sweetness of crab with the intense seafood taste of dried scallop. Stay warm with this Crab and Dried Scallop Soup. Recipe by Asian Inspirations.
150g crab meat
2 shiitake mushrooms (soaked in warm water for 15 minutes)
50g bamboo shoot in brine (rinsed and drained)
200ml chicken stock
4 large dried scallops
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp abalone sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp light soy sauce
1 tbsp Shaoxing cooking wine
Salt and pepper to taste
4 tbsp cornstarch
8 tbsp water
fresh coriander (to garnish)
2 tbsp black vinegar (optional)
blanched beansprouts (handful)
1. When the shiitake mushrooms are softened, slice them thinly into strips. Also cut the bamboo shoots into strips.
2. Begin heating the chicken stock and water in a pot over medium high heat.
3. Add the dried scallops into the pot and boil for about 20 minutes.
4. Add sliced the shiitake mushroom, bamboo shoots and crab meat to the pot, quickly followed by the oyster sauce, abalone sauce, soy sauce and hua tiao wine. Mix well and season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Boil the soup for about 5 minutes before adding in the cornstarch solution to thicken the soup.
6. Make the cornstarch solution simply by mixing the cornstarch and water in a small bowl. Stir well, making sure there are no lumps in the solution.
7. Thoroughly mix in the cornstarch solution with the soup and it will gradually thicken.
8. Ladle the soup into individual serving bowls and garnish with some fresh coriander.
9. Optionally, you can mix in some black vinegar and/or blanched beansprouts with the soup.
Find your nearest Asian Store