Bakmie Goreng with Chicken
Bakmi Goreng recipe is an easy Indonesian Stir-Fried Noodles that is a street-food classic! Serve it piping hot with some chicken and kecap manis, to perfect your Straits dish!
Cooking Time: 15mins - 30mins
Total time: 15mins - 30mins
2 chicken breasts (diced)
2 tbsp water
1 pinch turmeric powder
5 tsp oil
350g fresh egg noodles (soaked)
2 cups mixed vegetables
3 spring onions (sliced)
2 garlic cloves (crushed)
2 tbsp spicy curry paste
3 tbsp chicken stock
3 tbsp ABC Sweet Soy Sauce (Kecap Manis)
¼ cup fried shallots (as garnish)
chilli (sliced, as garnish)
lime (wedged, as garnish)
- Whisk egg, water and turmeric powder.
- Heat 1 tsp oil on medium heat and add above, make a thin omelette, roll, set aside.
- Heat 2 tsp oil and brown chicken in batches, set aside.
- Saute spring onions, garlic and curry paste in 2 tsp oil until fragrant. Add vegetables and stir fry for 2-3 mins, add chicken, toss.
- Make a well in the middle of mixture and stir in stock and ABC Sweet Soy Sauce.
- Add noodles and toss for 3 mins. Add sliced omelette and garnishes before serving.
Snippets about Mee Goreng:
- Mee goreng in Malay means “fried noodles”. The spicy mix of egg noodles is fried with chicken, along with onions, potatoes and other vegetables.
- The Singaporean version of the Mee goreng has cucumber slices in it.
- Mee Goreng is associated with the Indian Muslim community although it is mostly known to be a Malay dish. it is usually sold in the Mamak stalls in Malaysia and known as Mamak Mee Goreng.
- Indonesia also has a dish known as bak mie goreng, this dish is derived from the southern Indian cuisine which uses curry powder to add flavour to it.
- It is also believed that the dish is derived from Chinese chow mein and was introduced by the Chinese immigrants in Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia.
- There are various kinds of Mee Goreng based on the geographical locations. Each of it has it’s own unique flavour and variations depending on the regional produce and meat.
- This dish is perfect for a quick dinner or a brunch.