Malaysian Chilli Sauce is an accompaniment for all kinds of cooked meat and vegetables. The taste and flavour it adds to your Southeast Asian dish can be quite remarkable. In fact, just the look of it can have your tongue tingling.
You don’t have to visit the market or grocery every time you find yourself in want of this spicy, sour and aromatic sauce. You can spice up your Malaysian dish on your own. While every family will have their own recipe for this sauce, this is a vegetarian-friendly recipe.
10 chopped shallots
8 fresh chilies, sliced
5 cloves garlic, sliced
1 stalk lemongrass thinly sliced
½ ounce tamarind
10 dried chilies
2 tsp turmeric powder
3 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1. Blend the first six ingredients into a paste. Use 3 tsp of oil to blend easily.
2. Heat 5 tbsp oil in a wok. When the oil is hot, sauté the paste until fragrant. Stir the paste so that it does not stick to the wok.
3. To the mixture, add the tamarind juice and the sugar.
4. Let the paste cook. When oil from the paste floats to the top, the paste is ready.
5. Ladle the paste or sauce onto your jar, and let the rest cool awhile before refrigerating it. Your quick and easy Malaysian chilli sauce is ready!
Find your nearest Asian Store