Pancakes are the perfect breakfast for a rainy morning. But what if all you have are potatoes, onions and green chillies?
Not to worry, because there is a delicious Korean snack that’s waiting to be sampled any time of the day – Korean potato pancakes. Bring out those chopping boards and frying pans and make use of our cooking tips. Try out this recipe for the best Korean pancakes you have ever tasted.
• 2 potatoes, peeled
• 1⁄2 peeled onion
• 1 seeded green chili, thinly sliced
• Salt to taste
• 2 tbsp of rice bran oil
• Blend the potato in a mixer or a grater.
• Drain the water from the blended potato, and let it sit for about 5 minutes.
• Blend the onion in a mixer or a grater.
• Mix the potato on a sieve and the onion in a bowl. Add some salt.
• Empty the water in the bowl and add any leftover potato starch from the bottom of the bowl into the potato and onion mixture above. Stir it well.
• Heat the pan on high heat and add some oil. Once the pan is heated, scoop out potato mixture and place it onto the pan. Reduce the heat to medium-high.
• Once one side of the pancake is almost cooked, garnish with the chili.
• When one side of the pancake is completely cooked, turn it over. Lightly press it with a spatula to flatten a bit.
• When the other side of the pancake is completely cooked, turn it over again to see whether it is cooked. If you prefer golden crispy pancakes, cook them both sides twice.
• Plate and serve hot.
For a bit of fun in the kitchen, check out our Korean recipes.
Find your nearest Asian Store