Malaysia is a land of delicious delicacies and with each geographical terrain you will experience the uniqueness of their cuisine with numerous variations and flavours. The local delicacies of Terengganu and Kelantan have their unique share of dishes that will leave an indelible culinary experience. Also, this region is highly reliant on the fishing industry. So as you can see many dishes that are fish and squid based.
Most of the dishes are quite similar and are widely available in both the places as well as across Malaysia. However, a few local specialties are a must-try.
Here are some of the local delicacies of Terengganu and Kelantan:
Due to its close proximity to Southern Thailand Terengganu food has influences of Thai culture and taste. Terengganu has abundance of rice based dishes and dining out is relatively inexpensive as there are plenty of choices ranging from hotel food to hawker food.
Top 5 Terengganu Dishes:
1. Bubu lambut – a herb based rice porridge is a Terengganu traditional porridge, cooked with different kinds of herbs, sweet potatoes, fish crackers and dry prawns.
2. Solok Lada – A great accompaniment for Nasi Kerabu, Solok Lada is chillies stuffed with mackerel and is usually served with rice .
3. Pulut Lepa – is a delicious savory snack made from glutinous rice steamed with coconut milk and spiced mackerel fish floss filling, wrapped with banana leaves and grilled for a smoky flavour.
4. Lompat Tikam – is a Terengganu dessert that is made of coconut milk, rice flour and pandan juice.
5. Not to miss the keropok lekor, nasi dagang, Otak otak ( fish cakes), Rendang, ketupat sotong ( squid stuffed with glutinuous rice) and other rice dishes.
Kelantanese cuisine has several specialities rarely seen elsewhere in Malaysia and dining at Kelantan has plenty of options and is quite reasonable compared to Kuala Lumpur. The proximity to Thai border makes the place a heaven for Thai food as well that is widely available; there are also many dishes that are distinct mixtures of Malay Kelantanese and Southern Thai cuisine.
Top 5 Kelantanese Dishes:
1. Ayam Percik – An exotic starter dish, Ayam percik is grilled chicken with coconut milk sauce.
2. Laksam Kelantan – Laksam is almost like Laksa, but with a local Kelantan touch. It is served with herbs, rolled-up with flat white noodles and a rich white fish and coconut gravy.
3. Nasi Dagang Kelantan – Nasi dagang is quite famous in Kelantan, it is a mix of white and brown rice cooked with coconut milk, served with a tasty curries.
4. Nasi Kerabu – a spiced yellow rice served with a fresh herbs and fried coconut. However, the authentic Kelantanese version of Nasi Kerabu is colored blue from the use of a wild flower and is served with slightly sweetened budu, a condiment made of fermented anchovies that is a staple of Kelantanese cuisine.
5. Nasi Tumpang – is a rice dish rolled up in a banana leaf served with omelette, curry and meat packed inside.
Popular Kelantan desserts and snacks include Akok (steamed egg-based mini cakes), bahulu (cakes), “serimuka” (a steamed dessert made from two layers of glutinous rice and pandan-flavored egg custard) and keropok ikan (fish cracker).
Find your nearest Asian Store